Sunday, June 29, 2014

Tripping on My Own Mistakes During My First Trip

June 17, 2014 - The night it really began.

I had attempted a super doubles trip (where they will double coupons up to $2 in value rather than their normal $0.99 or less) at some point before this, but I hadn't been collecting coupons long and my first trip was on a Tuesday, the last day of the super doubles, so it didn't go great and I didn't get a lot of things.  That was a trial run, I feel like the night listed above was the night this began.



So, I headed out coupons in hand, ready to see what I could do.



My plan for Rite Aid:

6x Brawny Paper Towels - 8 roll packs.
Buy One Get One Free through 6/21
Spend $15.00, Receive $5.00 Up Reward, Limit 2
Use three $1.00/1 – Brawny Paper Towels (brawny.com)
Pay $32.97, Receive two $5.00 Up Rewards (source)

(Granted, I only had 2 coupons, as my wife was out of town and didn't have another computer to print the coupon from.)

Colgate Total Toothpaste
Colgate Optic White 4 oz or Total Advanced 4 oz or Total 4.2 oz Toothpaste will be on sale for $3.50, plus you will get $3 +Up Reward when you buy one (limit 2 offers.) There is a $1/1 printable coupon here (but it is expected to disappear VERY soon). We are also expecting a lower value $0.75/1 coupon in the 6/15 SS newspaper insert. Buy one and use one $1/1 coupon. Pay $2.50, but get $3 +Up Reward. Net price is $0.50 MONEYMAKER!  (source)

I ended up not doing this deal, as I realized there was basically the same deal at Walgreens with a smaller cash outlay.

This transaction went fairly easy.  I went in, got the last 5 packs of Brawny, asked a clerk if they had anymore, she told me to take an 8 pack of Basic paper towels instead.

Spent $36.40, got $10 in +Up rewards and got 48 rolls of paper towels.  ($0.55/roll tax included)



Walgreens:

BUY TWO NEUTROGENA BAR SOAPS, regular price $2.99
Get 5000 Balance Rewards points (value $5-$6.25) when you buy two
Use one 20% Off Regular Price Items Walgreens printable store coupon (exp 6/17) – deducts $1.20
Price at Register: $4.78, but get 5000 BR points (value up to $6.25)
NET PRICE FOR ALL: UP TO $1.47 MONEYMAKER! (source)

BUY ONE BURT’S BEES LIP SHIMMER – regular price $5.29
BUY ONE BURT’S BEES TINTED LIP BALM – regular price $6.99
Get 5,000 Balance Reward Points when you buy two Burt’s Bees (value $5-$6.25)
Get $1.50/1 Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm Ibotta Offer
Get $1.50/1 Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer Ibotta Offer
Get $.50/1 Burt’s Bees Ibotta Bonus when you buy (2)
use one 20% off Regular Priced Items at Walgreens (will deduct $2.45)
use two $1.50/1 Burt’s Bees Lip Color Item printable
Price at register: $6.82 but receive 5,000 BRP and $3.50 in Ibotta deposits
Net Price: up to $2.93 MONEYMAKER (source)

BUY TWO CAREFREE LINERS – regular price $1.49
Get 1,000 Balance Reward Points when you buy two Carefree Liners (value $1-$1.25)
use one 20% off Regular Priced Items at Walgreens (will deduct $.60)
use two $1/1 Carefree Product printable
Price at register: $.38 but receive 1,000 BRP
Net Price: up to $.87 MONEYMAKER (source)

Florax DS Ready-to-Drink Probiotic 0.17 oz will be on sale for $10, plus you will get $10 Register Rewards when you buy one. There was a $3/1 printable coupon I told you about around two weeks ago, but it is no longer available to print. If you have the coupon, buy one and use the $3/1 coupon. Pay $7, but get $10 Register Rewards for a $3 MONEYMAKER. If you don't have the coupon, this item is merely free after Register Rewards. (source) (I had no coupon)

Colgate Total Toothpaste 3.5-6 oz will be on sale for $3, plus you will get $2.50 Register Reward when you buy one. There is a $1/1 printable coupon here (but it is expected to disappear VERY soon). We are also expecting a lower value $0.75/1 coupon in the 6/15 SS newspaper insert. Buy one and use one $1/1 coupon. Pay $2, but get $2.50 Register Reward. Net price is $0.50 MONEYMAKER! (source)

Vitamin Water Energy 11.5 oz cans will be on sale for $1, plus you will get $1 Register Reward when you buy one. Net price is FREE! (source)

Sunsweet SupraFiber Fiber Supplement 10.9 oz will be on sale for $10, plus you will get $10 Register Rewards when you buy one. Net price is FREE! (source)

BUY ONE GLADE PLUGINS CUSTOMIZABLES STARTER KIT – on sale $5.99
BUY ONE GLADE PLUGINS SCENTED OIL REFILL 2pk – FREE when you buy one Starter Kit
Get $3/1 Glade Plugins Scented Oil Customizables Starter Kit Checkout 51 Offer
Get $2/1 Glade Customizables Starter Kit Ibotta Offer
Get $3/1 Glade Plugins Scented Oil Customizables Starter Kit Shopmium Offer 
Price at register: $5.99 but receive $3 Checkout 51 deposit, $2 Ibotta deposit, $3 Shopmium deposit
Net Price: $2.01 MONEYMAKER (source)


This one didn't go as well, but was definitely a learning experience.

I couldn't find the Sunsweet SupraFiber, the Vitamin Water Energy or the Neutrogena soap.  My notes were not as detailed as what I have above, so when I got the Burt's Bees, I decided it should be cheaper and have the same affect getting two lip shimmers instead of a lip shimmer and a tinted lip balm, thus shorting myself $1.50 in ibotta rebates.  I had the 20% off coupon, which could have been applied to everything, but didn't use it as I didn't have the soap which I had planned on using it with.  I left a lot of money on the table that night, but I chalk it up to a learning experience.  Although, I saw someone else with many of the same products in our carts and we talked about what coupon blogs we read.

Final total:

Cash Spent: $19.42
Balance Rewards Spent from prior transactions: $10.00
Balance Rewards Earned: $6.00
Register Rewards Earned: $12.50
ibotta Rebates: $1.50
Checkout51 Rebates: $3.00
Shopmium (use referral code YKMUHCRC) Rebates: $3.10

Total cost $3.32 ($2.22 of which was taxes) for a Glade Plugin + 2 refills, a tube of Colgate Total Whitening, Florax Probiotic, 2 Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers, & 2 packs of Carefree Liners.

My mistakes cost me here.  I should have had a profit. I know I paid the equivalent of the toothpaste for all that stuff, but given how little of that list we normally use, I would have hoped to have turned a profit on it.  And I should have if not for my mistakes with the 20% coupon and forgetting why I needed different Burt's Bee's products.

(Note for any trying this, if you spend Balance Rewards on a transaction, you do not earn more balance rewards, so only use them on transactions where you get Register Rewards.)

So, while in some ways this was a success, I should have done much better.  I get more savvy about it the next day.




No comments:

Post a Comment