Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My First "Extreme Couponing" Trip

So, I actually may have had bigger deals at Harris Teeter, but that was during Super Doubles and they don't really do overage so, it didn't feel like "Extreme Couponing."  I think this felt extreme, because I was using overage on certain products to subsidize others.



Giving you the best deals and stories from Walmart!


So, I went out as a man with a plan on this trip:

QtyItemPriceCoupon QtyDiscountPayRebatesNet Price
2Wasa Crispbread Cracker$1.682-1$1.36-$2.00-$0.64
1Glade PlugIns Scented Oil Warmer$1.381-1$0.38-$1.75-$1.37
16Raid Fly Ribbon 4 ct$0.758-3-$12.00$0.00-$12.00
1GV Applesauce$4.1000$4.10$0.00$4.10
0.6666666667Bananas$0.5700$0.38$0.00$0.38
2Soda$0.7000$1.40$0.00$1.40
5Chicken$1.9900$9.95$0.00$9.95
1.5625Red Delicious Apples (5)$1.2700$1.98$0.00$1.98
6Benefiber$1.976-3-$6.18$0.00-$6.18
1Oxy Daily Defense Advanced Facial Cleanser$3.791-1$2.79-$3.79-$1.00
6Old El Paso$0.302-1-$0.20$0.00-$0.20
5Revlon Nail Clippers$1.975-3-$5.15$0.00-$5.15
3Bic Comfort 3 Pilot Disposable Razors, 4 pk sells for $2.96$2.963-3-$0.12$0.00-$0.12
1Radishes or Sugar Snap Peas
Total-$1.31Total-$8.85

Notice the lack of a price in the Radishes or Sugar Snap Peas, it was a late addition by Mom of the Deal and just figured, what the heck, I should be able to make it.

Well, I arrived at Walmart and started wandering around the store, my first goal was the Raid Fly Ribbon 4 ct, as that was the biggest moneymaker of the group.  Only, I realized, I didn't actually know where in the store they were.  So, I started roaming, started in grocery, went over to the garden center...maybe they are housewares.  Finally ended up back in grocery and found them near the cleaning supplies.

I let my eyes scan across the prices.  Problem one, I don't see anything on this bug killing section with a price beneath it for $0.75.  I scanned the shelf for several minutes.  Finally, I noticed them right beside the 10 packs of fly ribbon, with no price to be seen.  I grab one, walk around trying to find a price scanner, when I finally find one, it scans up at the $0.75 needed and I go back to where they were and start loading up my cart.  Luckily they had 17 available and I only needed 16, so I didn't become a shelf clearer.

The next isle down had all the Glade stuff including some on an end cap, but it took me at least five minutes to find the Glade PlugIns Scented Oil Warmer pushed to the back of an otherwise empty part of the shelf.  During this time, two young ladies came up on the isle and started debating about the various "glah-day," as they called it, fragrances.  They sprayed quite a bit out of three different bottles before deciding on which one they liked best.

After this, rather than crossing back to the other side of the store again for the next biggest moneymaker, I decided to just go down the list, but adapt if I know things are close together.

Only, the first item on my list was, Wasa Crispbread Cracker and I had no clue where that was either.  So I started in the crackers and chips, wandered down the multiple isles for crackers and chips, slowly so I didn't miss it.  Hmmm.  No luck!  I look at the coupon, but decide black and white might not be the best for creating a mental image, so I hit up Google images on my phone and after a couple minutes I finally got an image on my lousy signal.  So, I wandered back through all the crackers and chips isles and still had no luck.  Well, it kinda sounds ethnic, maybe it's in that section or it says flat"bread" maybe it's with the bread.  So, I go all the way down to the bread and no sign of it.  Then I go to the ethnic foods and don't see it, but I do find the Old El Paso products.  My coupon was $1.00 off of any 3.  Unfortunately this Walmart didn't seem to carry the smaller sizes that only cost 30 cents, so there is another item off my list.

I am now down two items and this seems to be taking a while.  (Adding to my time was my unplanned live facebooking of the event.)  Next up, applesauce!  So I go get it and remember apples, so I walk up to the front of the store and grab 5 apples.  (The ended up being 2.2lbs rather than 1.5625, I estimated, based on web research on average weight of an apple.)  Well, the meat is just around the corner so I go and grab the chicken.  From there I look at the list and see bananas, so I walk back to the front and grab those.  (They also ended up being .94lbs, rather than the 1/3rd a pound each based on web estimates.)  Then I look back at the list and walk to the back of the store to get the soda and think, "I'm finally done with the grocery part!" only to notice the Radishes or Sugar Snap Peas which were over by the bananas I just left at the front of the store.  So I go and find those and am finally done with the grocery part of the list.

So I wander over to the other side of the store to find the rest of the products, over near the pharmacy.  The razors were fairly easy to find.  I couldn't find the kind I had listed, but it was off of any bic disposables, so I found packs for $2.82 instead.  

I wander over to the makeup section and start looking at the Revlon products, but don't see a single thing under $3.00 and none of these items seem to be hardware like clippers or nail files.  So I start wandering again and eventually find them.  Only this section seems to have a hurricane blown through it.  Eventually, I find 5 Revlon nail files for $1.97 and then grab the Oxy and then start looking for the Benefiber.  There are supposed to be Benefiber Sticks, 3 pk which sell for $1.97.  I see no sign of them so, decide to wrap things up.

I go up to the front and ask an associate to watch my cart while I go out and grab my wallet from the car, which I forgot and then go get in line.

It reaches my turn, the cashier rings up all my items and I hand her a stack of coupons.  It looks fine until she starts scanning the Revlon coupon which beeps at her.  The coupon is for $3.00 off of any Revlon Nail Product.  She told me, "I think it means nail polish."  I let her know what it said again, so she got her manager and the manager overrode the coupon and let it discount.

Then she started scanning the $3.00 off of any two Raid Products coupons while the manager was still there.  It too beeped.  The manager read it and said, "It has a limit of one per transaction."  The coupon actually states "one per purchase," I could see where this could be interpreted in different ways, but gave her the benefit of the doubt.  "That's fine, take 14 off and we will do 7 transactions, as Walmart's Coupon policy states you will pay cash in the event of an overage."  

She takes the 14 off and examines the coupon and says, "This doesn't apply to this product."

"Yes, ma'am it does, it clearly states $3.00 off of any two Raid Products."

"But this item isn't even a dollar."

"Yes, ma'am, I know, and Walmart's Coupon policy states in the event the coupon is more for the item purchased, the overage will either go to the rest of the items or back in cash."

We finish up the first transaction and the cashier rings up the first two items and the coupon beeps again.  The manager realizing she is going to have to override each one and do it six more times if she sticks with her earlier plan states, "Just ring them all up."  Once that is done and there is a negative balance on the screen, she has to tell the cashier, "You need to give him that money."

I thank her for her help and head home.  The final tally:

2.2lbs Red Apples: $2.79
Bag of Radishes: $1.48
3 12-packs of Bic Disposable Razors: $8.46
GV Applesauce: $1.98
5.2lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: $10.75
Oxy Clear Defense Acne Pads: $3.97
2 GV Sodas: $1.36
5 Revlon Nail Files: $9.85
Glah-Day Air Freshener: $1.33
.94lbs Bananas: $0.54
16 4-packs of Raid Fly Strips: $12.00
Tax: $2.50

Total: $57.01

Coupons Tendered: $47.00

Net paid: $10.01

Rebates Filed: $5.97

Total cost: $4.04

Savings: 93%

I didn't quite break even in the store, or make a profit like I planned, but it definitely was an interesting trip.

Although, I still waiting to see if the Savings Catcher, gives me more. :)

Have a great evening all.  Unfortunately, I won't have the Grocery Store deals up until tomorrow, as this wrist brace is dramatically impacting my typing speed.

May the deals be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment